Skip to content

Rebuilds are Magic!

May 4, 2012

Tonite i ventured out to the sweaty garage to make some progress on the new motor for Sam’s car. Alan is coming over tomorrow so i figured tonite i would do some one man work and tear the new motor down for an overhaul. I started this blog after my motor was together and Sam’s was built when we bought it so now i can go step by step through the rebuild process. First things first, tear down and assess what we have. The new motor is a late high compression motor from an 88 944, only made one year and bumping compression up from 9.5:1 to 10.2:1, this motor is not only desirable but harder to find, which is why my car has one 🙂 . I managed to get the long block torn down from a complete motor to just a  block with pistons and crank tonite. The bores look pretty good which is important with a full aluminum block because a few good scratches and the rings are no longer sealing, and cleaning them up is more than just a hone tool process. The block is made of an alusil compound aluminum which is high silicone content, and when the bores are polished in the correct process they are super hard. The rings are made from a metal that doesn’t wear the aluminum down and therefor most scratches in the bores are made from contaminants in the system like carbon deposits and lack of oil pressure or mechanical failure. Now i can check out the head and condition of the rest of the motor. Since this motor is from an automatic i suspect that the crank will be in good shape, less lugging in lower gears and less end to end play from the clutch pressure plate pulling on the crank bearings. If the bearings look good, i’ll have the crank checked to assure everything is in spec for standard bearings and then polished. If not i have another crank in the garage that is already to go, polished and in good shape just in case. While at the machine shop we will send our late oil pan, which has the best baffling of all the models, but also a factory “crank scraper” built in, to be cleaned and have an aftermarket Lindsey Racing baffle welded in to prevent oil starvation in tight cornering. The head will have the valves removed, be cleaned and checked for straightness and if the guides feel tight, i will hand lap the valves back into the seats to clean up the mating surfaces, then reassemble with new valve seals and perhaps some turbo springs since these are legal in our class now. Pistons will be removed from the block, block cleaned as well as the pistons, keeping the stock rings in place and cleaning them of any carbon or oil deposits before reinstalling them into the block. Our previous motor already has a ton of new parts on it that i will have to reuse, so once it is removed from the car i will have to pull the water pump, belts,rollers, clutch assay, hoses etc and swap everything over to the new motor. Enjoy the pics, more to come tomorrow.

Advertisements

From → Uncategorized

Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: